As unemployment rates continue to drop across the nation, the traditional opportunities, such as full-time or part-time, are not the only positions to consider when it comes to your job.
Temporary and temporary-to-hire accounting jobs are becoming more and more available. More on temporary accounting jobs can be found here.
What is a Temporary-To-Hire Accounting Job?
A temporary-to-hire job means, based on performance, there is an opportunity to be hired full-time / permanently once the scope of work is met. This is a good way for companies to test potential finance or accounting employees on a project-based assignment. It also gives you the opportunity to try out the employer, learn about the culture and the vision, and get to know the team before taking a full-time position.
Pros of Temporary-To-Hire
- Good if you want the opportunity to stay with the company you're temping for
- Source of income and helps build resume
- Keeps your mind and skills sharp
- Allows you to work on different projects you may not have the opportunity to do otherwise
- Creates flexibility for you as you search for a full-time position
- Builds your self-confidence
Cons of Temporary-To-Hire
- Uncertainty that it may not lead to a full-time financial job
- It could take the company testing more than one person to find the right fit
Just like anything else, there are pros and cons, but understanding the position and contract makes a big difference when it comes to making a decision. All opportunities are subject to conversation and possible negotiation. If you're considering taking a temporary-to-hire accounting job, think about the following items and discuss these with your employer:
- Flexibility on dates
- Benefits, if any
- A date for a review so you can get a feeling if you're being considered for a full-time job
As you embark on your journey for a new job or career in finance or accounting, keep your eyes open for different types of employment.
Our sister company, Brilliant Financial Staffing, can help you with temporary needs while you also work with us in your permanent job search.