Temporary staffing firms and executive recruiting agencies in the accounting industry work in the same manner and aim for the same end goal of helping fill a position for a company.
So what are the differences between the two?
Temporary Staffing Firms
A staffing agency works for a company as a resource for selecting candidates that match the organization's criteria for an open temporary (or temporary to hire) position. They act as a liaison between employers and temporary job seekers. They get paid by the company when the organization does not have enough time and/or resources for the selection and initial interview process. Companies will choose to use a temporary staffing firm when they have project and/or additional work they need resources to complete the work.
When working with a temporary staffing firm, consider the following:
- Allows you the freedom to choose a job that fits your schedule
- Helps you prepare for interviews
- Provides an opportunity to date before you marry a company
- If you're unemployed, it gives you the flexibility to find a permanent job while still getting a paycheck
Executive Recruiting Agencies
Executive recruiters operate in the similar ways as temporary staffing agencies, but help the company recruit candidates for their open permanent roles. The company will hire an executive recruiting agency when they want to consider candidates that are currently employed as well as candidates which may be unemployed. The executive recruiter will recruit, screen and assist with "on boarding" the eventual hire. In addition, the executive recruiter will assist on developing the job description, compensation package and provide a recruiting plan for identifying the ideal candidate.
When working with an executive recruiter, consider the following:
- Provides key decision making contacts at several targeted companies
- Manages the interview process
- Gets third-party feedback you can use in subsequent interviews
- Helps you negotiate salary and benefits
If you're employed, we recommend you use an executive recruiter, like those of us on staff at Clear Focus, to find your next job.
If you are unemployed, we recommend you take a dual approach, working with temporary staffing and an executive recruiter. Our sister company, Brilliant Financial Staffing, can help you do just that.